Reflections on 'Paradigm Shift'

My debut novel entitled 'Paradigm Shift' reached the shelves of bookstores in a publishing arrangement with Barnes & Noble roughly thirteen months ago. Judging by the fact it has nearly been a year since this has happened, I have had plenty of time to reflect on the publication.

It strikes me as confusing that the book has not yet been reviewed by any professional services or publications with how widespread its influence has become, as I've gotten many people around the world writing to me about my book after an initial few interviews, book fairs and conferences which I had the pleasure to attend shortly after finishing high school, as a then-acclaimed '17 year old author'. It also strikes me as concerning that it only took thirteen months for me to notice just how many inadequacies there were with the book.

I have no complaints about the plot, although I greatly and frequently considered releasing a graphic novel, follow-up book, a form of prequel or sequel or a reabridged/reimagined version that would be a more concice version of the original 'Paradigm Shift' that I released through both Amazon and in the Barnes & Noble publishing deal.

With that said, my complaints (addressed mostly to myself) have to do with the sheer length of the gigantic manuscript which I presented to both my editor and publishing query, and the inadequacy of certain grammar rules as well as the flexibility I imparted upon myself with the book's spelling.

My style of writing has greatly changed since I have published Paradigm Shift, not only thanks to high school English classes, clearly all taught my geniuses with their respective all-mighty bachelor's degrees from prestigious universities with acceptance rates in the high nineties and many disinterested students, but due to some other, non-sequential matters.

It has been influenced by my frequent use of AI-powered writing innovations that I utilize for anything non-work related, such as e-mails, scripts written for information, tweets, information summaries etc. that I can later retort and requote, which I nevertheless don't use for personal matters such as blogging.

But not only that, it has changed in shape and structure to adapt to the rot of modernity through the past several months, as we witnessed a number of historic events unfold before us. It is worthy to note that Paradigm Shift was published just a month or so after the full-scale invasion of Ukraine by the Russian Federation, and roughly a year before the escalation of the Israeli-Palestine conflict, which covers the landscape of the news today. 'Paradigm Shift' did not halt me from finishing high school and graduating as one of the last in my class.

It did not halt me from publishing 'No Brakes' as a follow-up that October, likely to just brag about it on my then active Instagram page, which I have since retired in favor of new ones. And moreover, it did not halt me from all that has happened in my life since then, including the insights I have been keen to draw from that paragraph by Nietzsche or some other book by Evola. Exchanging my thoughts with more of the European folk, rather than the archetypical American audience dulled by the pleasures of consumerism to a higher degree than my 'compatriots' back on the ancestral continent of the Old World, has particularly influenced how I choose to address and perceive myself. I no longer hold the arrogance that I steadfastly held from ages fifteen to seventeen, when I was, by all accounts, just a young kid trying to make sense of the world through fiction.

'No Brakes', my arguably more profound and sensical work, thanks to the brilliant editorial job done on it by Jamie Stangroom at my personal request, has left more of a legacy for me than 'Paradigm Shift' in the short term, although its physical presence is lackluster to its non-connected predecessor. I must now reflect that although worldbuilding is a fun and joyous passion, we live in times where I must draw insight from that which is real, which is perhaps why 'No Brakes' sold so well among those willing to read those recollections on modern society through a neo-traditionalist lens, whether these people be among those of our rank (writers, authors, poets), or not.

I must remark at this point that 'No Brakes' has sold particularly well in the United Kingdom, a fact for which I cannot disguise I am eternally grateful. Recollections on publishing 'Paradigm Shift' have firmly convinced me to keep my work more concise, as in, less than ninety chapters per novel, but perhaps more than one split into two equally segmentally-dull halves as it was in the case of 'No Brakes', and hire editors or use tools to verify correct grammar, whatever the cost may be. No matter how far I run with 'it', as in, the bit, the gig will only suffice me just as long as I remember that English was never my first language, and I must keep whatever is native and classical of it when trying to address my thoughts in a 'proper' way. I hope this reflection wasn't too formal for your liking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Floridization of the World

New Years' Book Recommendations: Action Selection